Mother nature made her presence felt last week, rain blew in and the air turned crisp, the seasons first is always exciting. With the change in weather a long slow cooked stew with freshly baked bread seemed fitting.
If you are new to cooking or a busy working parent, this recipes simplicity will make you very happy! Begin by asking your butcher for three pounds of cut stew meat, one to two inch chunks is best. Then buy a bag of the tiniest one bite potatoes you can find. Don’t cut them in half, leave them whole which I love to do as it keeps the broth from getting too starchy. You can buy your mushrooms pre-sliced and garlic pre-minced, no need for extra work here.
That leaves you with the onions, carrots, and celery, these have to be roughly and imperfectly chopped, very easy. Place all these ingredients into your slow cooker, feel no guilt that you didn’t have to do anything complicated on your way to an amazing homemade meal. Then, in a large measuring cup whisk together the beef broth, red wine, flour, and remaining seasonings. Pour broth mixture over all the ingredients in your slow cooker, give it a stir. Now set the cooking time… and walk away. Once complete add more salt as needed. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 20 tiny one bite size potatoes, leave whole
- 4 cups beef stock, low sodium
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, add more as needed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper add more as needed
- 2 tablespoons Worchester Sauce
- 3 bay leaves, remove after cooking
Place meat, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and potatoes into a 6 ½ to 7 quart slow cooker.
In a large measuring cup add beef stock, dry red wine, and flour, whisk together. Add dried thyme, salt, pepper, paprika, and worchester sauce, give it another good whisk. Pour liquid mixture over meat, vegetables, and potatoes into the slow cooker and give it a little stir. Tuck in two bay leaves, remove them after cooking.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours and low for 6 hours or until meat is tender and the vegetables and potatoes are cooked. Once complete add more salt as needed. Serve with a nice loaf of warm french bread. Enjoy!