We love chili in our house, it’s the perfect easy meal with a side of homestyle honey cornbread. This One Pot Homemade Chili Recipe takes no time at all to assemble, and can be made in a Crock Pot or simmer on the stove for hours while you sit back and relax. You’ll be pulling this recipe out for busy weeks, a lazy stay-at-home weekend supper, game days, and weekend BBQ’s. It always ends up simmering away at our house for so many special occasions, and without fail a tradition on Super Bowl Sunday and Halloween night. I hope you enjoy!
One Pot Homemade Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ large yellow onions , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 (12 oz) bottle wheat beer (Wheat Ale)
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies (or substitute with desired amount of diced jalapeño)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt , add more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper , add more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin , add more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder , add more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced scallions
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions; sauté until translucent. Add minced garlic; sauté for just a few minutes making sure not to burn the garlic. Add ground beef and cook until nicely browned; skim off some of the fat, leaving some for added flavor.
Add the wheat beer, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juices, white kidney beans, red kidney beans, and diced green chilis; stir well. Add seasonings, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, spicy paprika, and dried oregano; mix well until nicely incorporated. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer slightly covered for about 2 hours, or until you are ready to eat, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of sliced scallions. Enjoy!