Using only the freshest ingredients for this delicious, comforting, and creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup, you’ll be sure to create a warm and satisfying homemade soup that your family will ask for time and time again. Serve in a hollowed out bread bowl, or your favorite soup crock. Top with a little fresh broccoli, and a sprinkle of extra cheddar. Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 large head of broccoli , chopped
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks , chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 chicken bouillon cube , (optional)
- 2 cups half & half , (or 1 cup milk & 1 cup heavy cream)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
In a medium skillet melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Add the onions, sauté until tender. Add carrots and celery, sauté until tender. Set aside.
In a large stockpot melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat. Add ¼ cup flour stir constantly until well incorporated. Slowly add half & half, mixing well. Add chicken stock and chicken bouillon cube, stirring until bouillon cube has dissolved. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to thicken.
Add chopped broccoli, sautéed onion, carrots, and celery, garlic powder, sweet paprika, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, mix well. Reduce heat to low, simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Remove soup from heat and prepare to purée.
In small batches carefully ladle soup into a blender, purée until smooth. Repeat until all the soup is puréed. Ladle puréed soup back into the stockpot, turn heat to medium-low, add cheddar cheese, stirring until melted and heated throughout. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste.