The other day I posted a question on Facebook asking, how much do you tip for beauty and dining services? Here were a few responses:
Laura wrote, “I still disagree with tipping the owner. ..why beauty stylists and no other business owners?”
Natalie wrote, “I’m curious to know what your thoughts are on tipping for beauty service. Sometimes I feel like it’s unnecessary…if I’m getting a blow-out for example, I’m already paying the stylist for her service, but is it really necessary to tip too?”
Elizabeth wrote, “I always tip 20%; if the service is terrible, 10%. If they are busting their butt but just having a terrible night, 30%.
These are great questions. I can tell you what is etiquette correct, but the decision is ultimately yours. Manners aren’t about being perfect, rather about treating others well. Both readers felt tipping in the beauty industry went overboard.
What To Do
Today it is customary to tip a salon owner if they are providing (performing) the service to you. Years ago, it was the opposite; today, leave gratuity.
If you are in medicine, law, consulting, and coaching, or you own an accounting, architectural, construction, graphic design firm; you do not receive an additional gratuity every time you complete an appointment or project. Some of these professions may receive bonuses for job well done, bringing in new business, etc.
Tipping is the traditional way of showing appreciation for services rendered. Typically beauty service gratuity ranges from 15%-25%. Generosity is always well received. If service is terrible, your gratuity percentage may reflect as such and I’d recommend finding someone else.
The Ultimate Cheat Sheet On Tipping
BEAUTY, HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP?
- STYLIST (EVEN IF OWNER) 15%-20%
- SHAMPOO ATTENDANT $2-$5
- BARBERSHOP, BLOW-DRY BAR, AESTHETICIAN, ESTHETICIAN, MANICURIST, PEDICURIST, MASSAGE THERAPIST 15%-20%
DINING, HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP?
- MAITRE D’$10-$20 FOR SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS
- SOMMELIER 15% COST OF WINE
- BARTENDER $1-$2 PER DRINK
- SERVER 15%-25%
- HOTEL ROOM SERVICE 15%
- FOOD DELIVERY 10%
TRAVEL, HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP?
- TAXI OR HIRED CAR 15%-20%
- BELLHOP $2 PER BAG
- AIRPORT SKYCAP $2 PER BAG
- HOTEL HOUSEKEEPER $2 PER NIGHT
MISCELLANEOUS, HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP?
- COAT CHECK $2 FOR EACH ITEM
- VALET PARKING $2-$5
- RESTROOM ATTENDANT $1
- BALL GAME USHER $1 IF SHOWN TO YOUR SEAT
HOLIDAY, HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP?
- SUPERINTENDENT $30-$100
- DOORMAN $25-$100
- CUSTODIAN $20-$30
- HANDYMAN $10-$30
- NEWSPAPER DELIVERIES $20-$25
- STYLIST COST OF REGULAR SESSION PLUS A SMALL GIFT
- TRAINER $50 PLUS A SMALL GIFT
- PARKING GARAGE ATTENDANT, LOCKER ROOM ATTENDANT, DRY CLEANER, LAWN CREW, DOG GROOMER A SMALL GIFT
- FULL TIME NANNY BONUS OF ONE WEEK’S SALARY AND THOUGHTFUL GIFT FROM THE CHILDREN
- PART TIME SITTER $25-$50
- PET SITTER DOG WALKER $30-$60
- HOUSEKEEPER EQUIVALENT OF ONE DAYS’ PAY PLUS A SMALL GIFT
All my love,